Monday, February 13, 2012

sick and tired...

Taking care of sick little ones is exhausting.

Will had a fever most of last week with a runny nose and cough to boot. By Friday, I thought it seemed worse than the average cold, so we went to the doctor. Sure enough, poor baby had both ears infected. Little ones who can't communicate are so tough when they're sick. It's so hard to know what is really wrong. He's such a happy little guy most of the time, so I was a little relieved to know that there was an answer to this:
He's doing much better already. Now I just need to remember to keep giving him the antibiotics when he's feeling well--that's when I start forgetting.

Sunday morning we drove up to Cornerstone Bible Church to visit old friends and hear Pastor Bill preach. Will was super fussy in the nursery and Sam fell asleep standing up, leaning on the pew after the service. That should have clued me in, but I just thought he was tired. Then he asked me to carry him to the car. Again, should have clued me in, but alas, I remained clueless. I carried him out to the car and we set off to have lunch with some dear friends. Just about a minute before we pulled into their driveway, Sam started crying and suddenly we found out why he was so tired. The stomach flu. Yep, he lost it all over his blankie. I'm thankful that it was before we got to our friends' house because they have a little one and we don't want to share the flu with him/them. We pulled into their driveway to borrow a bowl for the rest of the drive home and to tell them that we'd have to take a raincheck on lunch. Sam has been miserable. He was sick several more times yesterday and couldn't even keep saltines or water or 7Up down. Today, he has eaten a little bit here and there and hasn't gotten sick. However, he's still really pathetic looking, feverish and sleepy. I was letting him watch tv and checked in on him to find this:
(yes, his mouth is messy. I have let him eat anything that sounded okay in small portions and he wanted to eat some of a lollipop that his brother gave him yesterday. I know, not the most conventional upset stomach food, but he was drinking more water with it and with his fever that made me feel better)

People make fun of me for being optimistic, but I really think it's a blessing. I'm sure it can be annoying sometimes, but in the end I'd rather be an optimist than a pessimist any day! Why am I even bringing that up? Well, it's really easy for me to begin throwing myself a pity party in the midst of all of this. Taking care of sick kids, as I said earlier, is exhausting. Not being able to go to things that you've been looking forward to is disappointing. Having to clean up puke is not fun. However, today and this past weekend, I have continually been reminded that I know very little of actual sickness. I take for granted the health and well-being of my family all the time. And when the next member of my family drops to this stomach bug, I may need to be reminded of this, but I am SO thankful for God's loving kindness towards us. I'm extremely thankful that the worst day of Sam's flu was a day that Pete was home to help out. And I'm thankful that there was a break between the two sicknesses long enough for my parents to watch the boys and let Pete and I have a date Saturday night. Really, even when things are tough, there are usually so many things that we can find to rejoice and be glad about. That's what I'm striving to do these days.

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
Philippians 4:4-9

No comments: