Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Sam is SIX

Sam got to celebrate his birthday a few different days this year. First, he got to celebrate at the birthday party we threw for him and Jon. Then we celebrated on the day before his birthday because we spent his actual birthday on the road to Alabama. When we arrived in Alabama, we celebrated again with cake and ice cream. Not too shabby for a six year old! :)

If you haven't seen Sam recently, he is mostly a super-fun boy. Loves being around people, telling jokes, playing--and if at all possible, winning--almost any sport, being outside with his brother and his friends, and thankfully, he still loves to sit on his mom or dad's lap! (I know those days are numbered, so I'm trying to enjoy it while it lasts. Although, to be quite honest, he has a bony little butt!) Just recently he read his very first chapter book and wanted me to get him more! He would still rather be playing Legos or building a fort, but I am just thrilled that he doesn't dread reading.

He is a typical kid--get's upset when he loses, complains when he doesn't get to go first, etc--but we have had a few moments recently which have just melted my heart. A few weeks ago, we had some friends over for dinner. Afterwards, Sam offered to help me with the dishes and we jammed out to a little Toby Mac. When we finished the dishes, he asked me if he could sit on my lap and listen to the words of the newest song, Speak Life. Once the song was over, he thanked me for letting him listen to the song and gave me a hug before he bounded up the stairs to bed. It was one of those moments you want to freeze and hold onto for those other moments--you know what I'm talking about!

Here are a few snapshots from the birthday celebrations Sam had this year:

No comments: