Friday, January 31, 2014

Many Small Children

A friend was just saying to me that before their fourth child was added to their family, she kept hearing moms say that going from 3 to 4 kids was not a big deal. They would say things like, "what's one more?" She and I both shook our heads knowingly at each other. I think at that point I said something like, "One more is a big deal!" And she wholeheartedly agreed. I think any mama with a little one or two has their hands full.

I'm not looking for sympathy here. I realize that we decided to have these children, and we truly do see them as a blessing from the Lord. And I believe that He gives me the grace that I need each day to figure out how to balance it all the best I can. However, I am partially writing this to hold myself accountable later. I want to remember that moms of small children need HELP. That little four letter word help can mean a whole lot of different things. Here are some things that I think it could mean that might apply in this case:

A drink (alcoholic or Starbucks-depending on the mama and possibly the time of day) 
A hot meal (that's kid friendly if it's for the entire family, or not if it's a specific meal for the mom herself)
A visit (with no judgement to the state of her house or her appearance)
A night out (with her hubby or with the girls)
An hour of peace and quiet
A gift card for pizza
A note of encouragement
A phone call (with the understanding that she might be interrupted numerous times by the afforementioned kids)
An hour with a shrink (just kidding...well, mostly!) 

This list is definitely not all inclusive. Chime in with some of you suggestions. 

Three quick things before I sign off:
Another thing I want to remember is to volunteer in the nursery or as a Sunday school teacher when my kids are older. My hubs and I often talk about how the people with no small children that volunteer in the nursery at our church are such a blessing to those of us who really could use the break on Sunday morning, and we want to return the favor when our littles are not so little.

A friend shared the following verse with me: "Be strong and courageous, for the LORD you God will be with you wherever you go!" I love applying that verse to us mom, deep in the trenches of mothering little ones, instead of relegating it only to the old testament saints in battle.

And lastly if you're looking for a laugh about having four kids you must watch Jim Gaffigan's sketch with that title on YouTube. http://youtu.be/GEbZrY0G9PI


1 comment:

Tara said...

so perfectly true.