Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Trimming the Grass that Blocks the Most Important View

A couple weeks before Easter my mom came down to visit and brought with her the supplies to make this pinterest Easter project:

It's called a resurrection garden. The kids loved it and Mom and I had fun, too. :) The first few days I wondered if the grass would actually grow. I quickly realized it would grow. And grow and grow and grow and grow. Next thing we know, this is what we had:
I've been debating about how serious to get here, because this could just be silly and funny. In fact, we did laugh about it several times in the days that the grass slowly grew to covering the crosses. We laughed about needing a mini lawn mower--even a little mouse with it's own mower to come in once a week and give the grass a trim. The boys thought that idea was hilarious.

The funny thing is that as that grass grew, I began thinking more figuratively. What is it in my life that slowly creeps in coming between me and the cross, between me and my Savior, who didn't let anything come between himself and suffering so that I could enter into a relationship with Him? Why don't I do anything when the view is slowly being obstructed? Instead of falling on my face and repenting, I make jokes and walk away while the grass grows thicker and higher. I log on to one more distraction or turn on just one more show instead of turning to the One who loves me so much that He died one of the most excruciating forms of death imaginable for me and my sin. How many times will I turn away? I avoided this post because it meant facing the ugliness of the truth, that if I put these thoughts out there, then I need to be ready to make a change to truly repent of those things that are growing so freely in my life. And frankly I am forgetful--I forget that God cares about my holiness and that repentance is hard but forgiveness is so sweet--and I'm lazy--I want to just get lost in some drama on tv or on pinterest or facebook and avoid the work of using the gifts that God has given me to use for my good and His glory. But when I read this passage twice in two days, I realized it was time. Time to get real with the One who knows my heart and it's deceitfulness better than even I.
"I will ponder the way that is blameless.
Oh when will you come to me?
I will walk with integrity of heart
within my house;
I will not set before my eyes
anything that is worthless."
Psalm 101:2-3

I'm not going to pretend that I've got it all figured out. I still logged some time on those aforementioned sites today, but less and I feel good about that. But it's not so much about those sites as it is about what God is convicting me of in my heart. I needed to trim some grass that was obstructing a very important view. Just like the boys trimmed the grass in our resurrection garden:


I think it's fitting that they missed some of the tall grass because just like these sweet boys thought they trimmed so well, I'm sure my heavenly Father is patiently waiting for me to notice the other areas of my life that could use a little prunning, but for now, He's smiling down, loving that I'm seeking after Him, striving to make loving and obeying Him the most important thing.
How about you? Are you feeling like there are some things slowly creeping in and getting between you and our Savior? I'm praying that this encourages you to do a little trimming, that you might see Him and His glory more clearly.

Linking up with Ann Voskamp @ aholyexperience.com

1 comment:

Joan Concilio said...

This is a GREAT piece of food for thought for me. Thank you for thinking about this and for sharing your thought process. I pinned - but did not make - a Resurrection Garden; somehow, I didn't "have time" to, but I sure had time for a lot of other things.

Very good points, and I know I'll be looking for areas in which I can trim my own "weeds" or tall grass :)