Wednesday, July 2, 2008

the miscellaneous other mishaps

I have one older brother and then when I was eight my mom had my brother, Joe, then nearly eight years later she had my brother, Matt. Being eight and then sixteen when my mom had my younger brothers, I was exposed to many, many aspects of motherhood. Many a night was spent babysitting for my brothers or for other people's children. I thought I knew most all that child rearing entailed. Here's a snip bit of things I would have said: Dirty diapers, spit up, late night feedings, dressing wiggling infants, bathing those same wigglers, playing with, reading to, and feeding little ones, getting vomited on, being a human horsey, and miscellaneous other mishaps. What I didn't realize is how many things fall into that last category. It's currently 1:16 am and I'm awake waiting for my pain meds to kick in. On Saturday, Jon, my almost three year old, head-butted me and apparently cracked my tooth in half. It's now infected and causing me pain that rivals childbirth--and I'm talking childbirth with no epidural. I went to the dentist yesterday and he gave me a few options. He said that it didn't appear to be infected, and gave me an option, which I chose, that did not include the root canal. I was hopeful to avoid my fourth root canal in my 29 years of life on this planet. It appears that I will be getting number 4 and at this point I hope it is sometime soon. Yikes, the hazards of the job!

No comments: