Sunday, August 24, 2008

a gentle reminder

I like having things to do and love the feeling of accomplishment when I can check things off of my to do list. However, for the past month, (since we moved) the list has been so long that it has been weighing me down. I have put trying to complete the tasks on that list above most everything else and have allowed my priorities to get a bit out of wack. This week, I am going to attempt to reprioritize, get into some better routines and hopefully, have more realistic expectations. Just today, I was reminded of a passage of scripture that has been a favorite of mine quite some time: Isaiah 30:15 and 18 "This is what the Sovereign LORD, the Holy One of Israel, says:'In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength, but you would have none of it.' ...Yet the LORD longs to be gracious to you; He rises to show you compassion. For the LORD is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for Him!" I spent the summer of '99 in Venezuela living with a missionary and 2 other college age girls. The oldest student wrote a song based on those verses and I remember how much it ministered to me. I distinctly remember that in the midst of one of the busiest summers of my life, I needed that repentance and rest, that quietness and trust. Now my life is busy in a million different ways than it was that summer, but I need that quietness, that repentance and rest just as much, if not more. I'm so thankful that He longs to be gracious to me; that He rises to show ME compassion. Thank You, Father.

No comments: