Monday, November 9, 2009

A Few Favorites

With Christmas just around the corner, I'm always looking for good quality toys to get my kids. I figured others are probably doing the same. I'm going to share a few of our favorite books and toys with you and tell you why they're favorites. I'd love to hear from you--which toys are your kids favorites and which are your favorites! ;)

First, let me clarify that I am not a paid reviewer. You might notice a lot of Leap Frog toys on here and that's simply because we LOVE them. :) They have no idea who I am--trust me! :)

This Fridge Phonics set is several years old now and I believe it looks different, but it's still out there. Jon has used it SO much. We've lost a few letters and I've heard LeapFrog will replace them for free, I just need to follow through on that and actually contact them. Jon still uses this set, but Sam is definitely using it more and more everyday!

This is Jon's new baby. He got this Fridge Words set for his 4th birthday just a couple months ago and he literally uses it for at least an hour each day--probably more! Sam even plays with it a little, but it's definitely right at Jon's level (4-5). I really recommend this one! :)

Next up is the Phonics Bus. I actually got this when I was pregnant with Jon at a baby shower and it's hands down one of my favorite toys we've owned! The boys will actually fight over whose turn it is to play with it. (although, Jon's a little old for it) When Jon was two, he asked to take it to bed with him and we reluctantly let him. He sat in bed listening to the letters say their name and their sound and then he would listen to the abc song. I really think that this is part of why he could say his alphabet at 2 1/2. Sam now LOVES it and just last night asked if he could take it to bed. Pete and I looked at each other and shook our heads, but then shrugged--sure. He'll probably be singing the abc's any day now! :)

Jon loves playing with this first words book that I picked up at Michaels. I think it makes him feel like he knows how to spell all of those words, even though he's not quite there yet. :)

Besides those blatantly educational toys, the kids LOVE to play with their trains. Notice they're on the treadmill--that's the most action that sucker's seen in months! Hopefully, I'll be breaking that trend soon! And, like most boys, they love playing with their cars and this car mountain that I got Jon for his birthday at a yard sale. :)


Also, the boys love building with these wooden blocks. Sam loves the wooden puzzles. Anything by Melissa and Doug is highly recommended. I just bought their money, a clock and this cool see and spell toy by them for Jon for Christmas--I'll share pics later!


And here are a few of our favorite Bible story books. The board book versions are Sam's and the I Can Read versions are Jon's--but I read them all to both of them.
Please share some of your favorites!! :)

1 comment:

Emily said...

I really like those "I can read" Bible books. Noah's been reading for about 6 months now and those are my favorite new discovery. It sounds like Noah and Jon have a lot of interests in common. Too bad they live so far apart.