Monday, August 8, 2011

First Day of First Grade (homeschooling Jon)

For many various reasons, I decided to start our school year a little early. The biggest reason being that I knew we'd need to ease back into things and I wanted to have the flexibility to do that. So today, we did one hour of school and everyone had a great time. Tomorrow we'll probably do the same, maybe add 10 minutes if I feel like we can do that well. The other thing I love about starting early is that it gives us flexibility to take a day off later when the need (or want) arises. :)

Here's a look at what we'll be learning about together this year in first grade:

Math: Saxon 2
English/Grammar: Shurley English 1st Grade
Spelling: Spelling Workout A
Literature: First Favorites (Veritas Press)
Handwriting: Handwriting Without Tears and A Reason for Handwriting A
Bible: Pete is working through a family Bible book for now, I'm not sure what he has planned next--that's His dealio!

We'll be covering Science, History, Geography, and Latin in our co-op, Classical Conversations and then I'll be supplementing here at home with library books and a few books I've ordered from Amazon. Here's a broad look at the content we're covering in CC:
Science: The Human Body
History: From Christopher Columbus to the 1930's
Geography: United States and their capitals
Latin: memorizing 1 John 1:1-7 and various Latin rules

I'm really excited about all that we'll be studying this year!

No comments: